Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Commentary of master/counter narrative

So I suppose the master narrative here would be overall, country girl, perhaps redneck girl.  I certainly was invoking memories from time spent at my grandparents' respective homes.  They are both located in rural Alabama.  I have never lived in this area but have spent much time there over various childhood summer vacations along with numerous holidays over the years.  Though I don't experience this kind of lifestyle on a daily basis, I am still familiar with it. I also have enjoyed it very much. I grew up on the outskirts of Birmingham, Alabama and then was moved to Marietta, GA, in the suburbs of Atlanta when I was ten.  My experience is certainly more urban/suburban - so regarding the narrative style - I may sound like the master narrative of an idyllic country childhood, when in truth, I am more used to strip malls, traffic, and people with foreign accents or no accents.  I myself lost my drawl as soon as I figured how to after moving to become a "Georgia peach."  Being the new girl was hard enough, especially one who was well-endowed for her age, without sounding like Scarlett O'Hara around a bunch of dislocated Yankees/Westerners.

No comments:

Post a Comment